Friday, August 21, 2009

Last Minute Attempts!

Well, with the new school year scheduled to begin Monday (two days from now), I just underwent two interviews! Both of the interviews were for schools within the Canton City district, and both of these schools are populated with a lower level income community. The first interview was for a first grade position, while the second was for a Kindergarten position. When taking the time to weigh out the pros and cons of both schools and grade levels, I drive myself crazy attempting to consider the many variables of both situations. The bottom line at this point is simply that I hope and pray one of them offers me the job!!

My certification is Pre-School through Third grade, and quite honestly, the only grade level I would prefer to steer clear of is Pre-School. I just feel that at this age group, preparation takes precedence over education. I know many educators would be screaming to hear me make that comment, but three and four year olds require more of an education in routine and structure rather than in the material of our curriculum. I think that every educator would agree that there are comfort levels for each of us in the different age groups we teach. I for one would NEVER be able to stand in front of twenty high schoolers four or five times a day, five days a week!!! Whew the thought of it makes my blood pressure rise and my skin go blotchy! ;) Great teachers are confident with their student body. I admire many of the teachers I had growing up and have been greatly influenced by a few of them specifically. The confidence factor is the one thing that stands out to me in each and every one of the "great teachers". Although I can't imagine my sixth grade teacher at the high school level and vice versa with my high school biology teacher at an elementary level. I feel sure that the Early Childhood level is the perfect fit for me BUT I also have first-year jitters at managing a group on a daily basis in an effective, successful manner. I feel that it takes a year or two of experience to come into yourself as a teacher- to find the teaching style that best suits you and creates a comfortable classroom environment. Who wants to be in a classroom in which the teacher is uncomfortable???! Common sense would tell you that would make for a long school year!

I just hope that if I am offered one of these positions I am able to showcase myself as the capable professional that I am. Capable and Confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment