Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wedding Bliss or Family Drama?

Anna and I at our cousin's wedding.
Family dynamic is funny. Weddings, graduation parties, reunions, and other such occasions sure do create an interesting atmosphere amongst our extended family. There is such a large number of us, and the family politics are so great, that we don't even recognize each other half of the time! It's a sad reality. Out of the 23 or so first cousins on my mom's side, I really only know a handful of them. Out of that handful, I visit and communicate frequently with none of them. This is simply another sad reality. I tend to over analyze my thoughts, feelings, and reactions to my family members. This contemplative state of mind is inevitable after attending family functions, and almost always results in overwhelming confusion. I try to understand it without allowing it to form my overall perception of family. Our family unit is almost an oxy-moron in itself. I honestly feel that the interest in each other is genuine, as is the concern. Unfortunately, the expression of such interest and concern was stunted somewhere along its relay. Regardless, I am grateful for the opportunity to be apart of my cousin's wedding and to have a great picture of my youngest sister and I as a result of attending this family function!

No comments:

Post a Comment