Friday, October 30, 2009

:-) School Days

I have to say that I think I have the best job in the world! While the pay could be better (tons better), I have left school every day thinking about these 27 kids entrusted to me. It's so rewarding! I am so proud of the progress that they have made in the two short weeks we have been together. Ashley, my aide, deserves much of the credit for that as well. She's been a great partner who I will be sad to lose next year. While I totally understand that it is in her best interest to look for her own classroom, and that this gig serves merely to help us out and provide her with valuable "experience" for her resume, it is not the reason she put the time in to earn her teaching license.

This past week was the first week of changes within "MY" classroom. The students' play centers were shifted to the end of the day and they were introduced to "learning" centers. While they struggled to be interdependent among their groups the first day, the following days were awesome! I was so proud of them for working so quietly and well on Tuesday especially. The biggest struggle for me at this point is getting them to understand that I cannot have 27 hands tapping me at the same time or shouting out at me for something. As I was telling a colleague just yesterday, I feel as if I have to be the strictest with this right now from the beginning. I don't want to be insensitive to them BUT they have yet to be taught the ways of school or the appropriate means of gaining the attention of a teacher (or adult). Most of my students are either youngests or onlys. You can imagine the dynamic this creates with a class roster of 27 students. I don't mean this to be a negative comment, merely that most of my students are accustomed to having constant help and undivided attention. Obviously, this isn't possible in any classroom because of the normal teacher/student ratio.

We'll get there though. Like I said, they have made a great deal of progress already. I have had three different comments made about how much more they appear to be on-task as other's pass by our classroom!!! YAY! That's a great thing to hear! And I have to say that I have great people in my life- amazing people who want to see me succeed and support me in providing our little youngsters with the best possible education! I have to say that I am loving this more than I had ever thought I would. All of the fear, hesitation, doubts- it's all in the past. I'm so thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I knew you would take to it very quickly. I have heard all of your self-doubts and concerns in the past. I knew they were unfounded. Those lucky children will always remember their Miss Hilty.

    ReplyDelete